Thursday, October 24, 2013

Life in Edmonton & Completing a Second Degree

Hi everyone,

I haven't been able to update my blog very much. I guess I've lost touch with the blogging world. My last blog entry (which I reposted) are my goals after graduation that I had written near the end of my degree. Well I did graduate with a B.Sc in HNS!  Which is absolutely great. Here is a wonderful picture of me.



Afterwards I went to school at Concordia University College in AB for the Environmental Health After Degree Program. It was really nerve racking applying for school here but I got in! Now I am living in downtown Edmonton in an apartment. I started school on September 1st and so it has just been under two months living here.

Being away from home and being on my own (not really though, I have two roommates) has been a very different experience. I don't have my family to rely on. Things like food and transportation were things were things I relied on them for. Now I have to share groceries with my roommates and I either go with my roommate to school (Car pool) or take the bus to where I need to go. I feel like my life here is similar to my life at home in Headingley. I often spent time alone, studied at coffee shops, went to shoppers drug mart and did my own thing.

The major difference is that I don't have as many responsibilities to my family. I had to work at the family restaurant. I also don't have to experience the mental frustrations at home because of the restaurant. I no longer feel the guilt of not spending my time at the restaurant. I can be free and relax and not feel bad about it.  Another difference is that in Headingley, I did not have my own transportation and had to carpool home everyday. I had to collaborate with my family so that I would have a way home. Now I can just take the bus where I like. In that sense, I feel a lot more freedom here. Another difference is that I now cook dinner twice a week! It's not that bad, I actually enjoy cooking. I think at home I didn't give it much of a chance. I'm glad I get to experience that here.

My program here is definitely intense. I feel like I need to study and work even harder. I got a part time job in a vitamin supplement store which requires extra learning as well. I believe there is an online course which I need to complete within a month.

I never really thought I'd move away from home. Everything just happened suddenly. I just take it day by day. I miss my family and friends and of course my bf. But I know I'll be back soon, and that I am here to better myself as a person and learn as much as possible. I will be trying to update as much as possible. :) Welcome back to me blogging!!!!!! ^^^


2 comments:

  1. Hi Linda! It's interesting that you don't feel pressured to help out at the family restaurant anymore, I know that put a big strain on you living at home! You are a young woman who is paying her own way through school ... your biggest priorities right now should be LEARNING and then JOB HUNTING. :)

    ReplyDelete