Thursday, June 23, 2011

Day 3 @ Villa

Wednesdays I work 11-4 because I have volunteering at 4:40 at the Immigrant Centre. As I started my shift the chef reminded me to wipe the counters and fill the sink with sanitizer and soap. Oops. After that I chopped up carrots, celery and onions for soup and peeled potatoes for mashed potatoes. Oddly enough, chopping onions don't make me cry. I think it's because the contacts I'm wearing are like 4 months old and stick to my eye like glue all day.

Enza , one of the residents there volunteers from 11:00-6:00 on Wednesdays. She baked cookies, buns, and kaiser-ish buns.  I sat on a stool and watched her bake, and she gave me a cookie to nibble on. The chef worked on a crossword puzzle while I sat on a nearby stool and watched her for an hour. . . . . . Super slack. The highlight of my shift was smashing up some pork with a tenderizer? so that the pork is all flattened out. There were like 35 of them 0.o. I covered it with spiced up bread crumbs.

Honestly, this job doesn't seem to be much of a learning experience for me. I mostly do minor kitchen duties and sit around with old people.  Time for a job change perhaps? The chef did say I was going to do a lot of baking, like making bread. Hopefully as time passes I'll get more cool tasks to do and learn how old folks kitchens work :)

At the end of my long days I am grumpy and tired. It is time to accept the fact that I'm going to be super busy for the next 6 weeks and not sulk about it anymore! Fighting!!

2 comments:

  1. Ya you super bad manner after work, wth??! STALKER HWAITING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get NEW CONTACTS! treat your eyes well!!

    ReplyDelete