Friday, June 24, 2011

Day 4 - Biscuits @ Villa Cabrini

I started off the day wiping the counters..etc.. met a volunteer lady named Licia. As I cut the veggies for salad, Licia kept showing me how to cut them properly. Of course, working at Danny's forever I know how to chop veggies! Silly. But I comply to the old lady just to be nice.There's a meal schedule posted on the tack board which said mashed potatoes, so I peeled some potatoes too. 

After all that boring prep stuff he told me to make biscuits! Chef asked me, "do you remember how to make Scones?" (he pronounces it like SCONS). I said yes of course!  And he went on to say, biscuits are very similar to scones. The only thing I really was unsure of was how much milk was added to the batter. Here is the ingredient list for 40 biscuits:
  • 8 cups of flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup baking powder
  • 2 lbs or 16 oz of lard (ewwwwwwwwwwwww)
  • 3 cups of milk
The steps are pretty much the same as making scones. The main differences are:
  1. no eggs are added 
  2. no butter is used, just lard
  3. less 1/2 cup of sugar
  4. no raisins
The rest of my time at the villa was me doing various kitchen tasks such as doing the dishes, and preparing for dinner. Hrm.

Starbucks on Osborne is really close to the Villa; this is both fortunate and unfortunate. I get to blog at starbucks, but starbucks costs lots of money! This whole week that I've been here , I've been using a gift card that I received from a friend. There's only 2 bucks left on it though. :(. Can never have enough starbucks gift cards :).

After today's 3 hour shift, I get some down time at home and then get to work at sushi servin for 7 hours. Hello money makin job!

1 comment:

  1. "Villa Cabrini" sounds sooo exotic like you're in ITALY!!! way to go!

    pro at baking!!

    ReplyDelete