Wednesday, June 22, 2011

New Job! Schedule and scones.

I recently got a new job as Meal Program Assistant at the Villa (old folks home). I work in the kitchen with the head chef/cook. My course, Basic Principles of Human Nutrition (2140) started on Tuesday and runs til the 4th of August. I no longer work at Danny's during the day! Now my sister and my cousin Jo take the day time shift :)

Here is my schedule for the rest of the summer.
Monday - 11:00 - 6:30 @ Villa

Tuesday  - 10:00 - 6:00 @ Villa Cabrini
                   6:30 - 9:00 @ school for 2140

Wednesday -11:00 - 4:00 @ Villa
                     4:40 - 7:30 @ Immigrant Centre for volunteering

Thursday - 10:00 - 6:00 @ Villa
                  6:30 - 9:00 @ school for 2140

Friday - 10:00 - 1:30 @ Villa
              6:30 - 12:00pm @ sushi serving
Saturday  - 11:45 - 4:30 or 6:30-12:00 @ sushi

Sunday - 3:30 - 6:30 @ Danny's
              *sometimes 11:45 - 3:00 @ sushi

It feels like I'm really busy now! But I will have Mondays free evenings and weekends aren't so bad either. I get a ride to Villa  from my brother in the morning, and if I have time, I can stop by at starbucks, have a coffee and write in this blog and/or study!

On my first day at Villa , I watched the chef cook soup and make roasted ham. Basically, I follow him around...  I have to do the dishes too though :(. At least there is a dish washer! I also get free dinner.. but the food he makes isn't really fattening, but it is a lot of food. I see how I can get fat working here :(. I need to eat smaller lunches and breakfasts to make room for the big dinner.

Yesterday, for the first hour I drank tea. For the second hour, I read a book. As 12:00 hit, I started to making raisin scones. This was super fun and I enjoyed it a lot!!! The chef expects me to remember the recipes of the baked good I make; he even said next time I make it on my own. So to make ~40 scones you need:
  • 8 cups of flour
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1/2 cup of baking powder
  • 1 tsp of salt 
  • 1/2 cup of lard and 1/2 cup of butter OR 1 cup of butter
  • 4 eggs (3 to be put into batter)
  • 2 cups of milk (I think..)
  • 2 cups of raisins
 Add the dry ingredients to the first bowl and mix it up. Then I add the lard/butter to the dry ingredients and mix it with your hands until the flour feels crumbly.  Whisk the milk and eggs together. Make a little dip in the middle of the flour and add the milk and eggs. Fold the dough together until all the dough sticks together. Make sure you don't work the dough to much or gluten will form and the scone will have a bread like consistency. Fold in 2 cups of raisins. Form the dough into a giant ball and cut it in half.

Flour your working area. Take one half the dough and knead it until the dough is bout 1/2- 3/4 inch thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut circles out of the dough. Do the same to the other half.

Place onto cookie sheet (no need to spray). Glaze the scones with egg (Egg wash) Bake for 10 minutes! Ta Da!

3 comments:

  1. You sometimes smell like ham. It gives me conflicting issues. I'm both disgusted that you're smothered in the smells of your work day yet oddly attracted cuz it smells vaguely of bacon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. K is so MEAN to my baby sis >:( gna beat HIM UP!!

    ReplyDelete