Friday, September 17, 2010

Sept 17 - Canned fish love

It looks so boring...
For breakfast I finally had some Quaker Oats Instant Oatmeal with apples and cinnamon. (130) I microwaved the contents of the package with 2/3 cup of milk (60). It was pretty bland and boring to be honest. A very very unexciting breakfast to start off my day with.. not sure if I'm wanting to eat this again for awhile. There must be a way to spice it up?
Canned fish is very convenient for putting into sandwiches! There's always some in the cupboard and it has a long shelf life! And I LIKE the taste of canned fish. The other day I had a tuna salad sandwich for lunch. Salmon is higher in fat than tuna, but it does contain a lot more calcium! Today I made a salmon (170) salad sandwich with lettuce and tomato (5). I chose Dempster's whole grain bread (2 slices, 160 calories) at Sobey's last night while grocery which isn't as good as my usual 12 Grain Country Harvest bread. :(. Nonetheless the sandwich was pretty good! I think I should have drained the salmon a little bit more but that's okay! I added one tbsp of low calorie mayonnaise (30 calories) and some romaine lettuce to the sandwich.I also ate the kashi bar (120) and a salad (72). I ate the salad when I got home and so use half of it to put into a wrap (not pictured). The wrap was 100 calories.

For dinner I went out to this restaurant with K called Inferno's Bistro in St. Boniface. We had the crab cakes for at appetizer. It was soo goood and melted in my mouth. There was small pieces of mango on top that tasted pretty unripe *young* I forgot to take a pic of it before I started eating it..


I decided to try the Penne Inferno (pasta) since it was recommended on the website.  It was "Penne pasta with chicken, onions, peppers & wilted spinach, served in a chili spiked cream sauce". I really enjoyed it because the creaminess of the sauce wasn't too too creamy like it'd be like at Boston's Pizza or when you use creamy sauce from a jar. It also wasn't too spicy so at all! The sauce was really rich and full of flavour. I also appreciated that it was good serving size. Yum! I'd definitely order it again.

K's food was kinda weird. The "Jarret D'agneau" was also recommended on the website. It's a braised lamb shank, which actually tasted like roast beef. It was actually kind of dry.. maybe lamb is supposed to taste like that? Also, it was difficult to eat since it's well lamb shank and you have to scrape the meat off this huge piece of bone. The best part was the vegetables it came with. I tried the yam sauce and it was sooo goood. I forgot how much I love yam! Need to purchase it next time I go grocery shopping.

6 comments:

  1. Yes and thank u for the lunch again. !!!!! The salmon salad needed salt a d pepper or smth linda lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a fan of instant oatmeal - tastes really boring. Cook quick oats on the stovetop instead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ya i watched the 8 minute katheats video!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow inferno's? i went there on SPECIAL occasions. my 23rd birthday and on valentine's day............haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yep that's what lamb is :) it's soooooo good but always too much for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. busy linda can't update her blog >:[

    ReplyDelete